The second and more recent amp design from Andy Church is based on Leo Fender’s venerable AA1164 circuit design for the 1964 Princeton Reverb, albeit with a few meaningful modifications. Friends were clamoring for a cleaner amp with tremolo and reverb, so I chose the Princeton Reverb as my starting off point, as it is such a great little amp.
I made a few changes from the original:
- Larger First Filter Cap Value
- Fixed Bias
- Wider and Deeper Range for Tremolo Circuit
- Reverb Dwell Control
- Slightly elevated voltage in phase inverter section
- 11″ Deep Solid Hardwood Cabinet w/ Celestion Gold 10″ Speaker
IVY STUART SPECIAL
The IVY Stuart Special was commissioned by Peter Stuart, who wanted an IVY amp of greater power and headroom. The result is this wonderful little beast–with a loud, punchy, round and clear tone that holds firmly together even into higher volume settings.
Besides the mods listed above, this amp also features:
- Mercury Magnetics specially designed Power and Output Transformers
- Twin 6L6GC Tung Sol Power Tubes, generating 42 watts of output
- Celestion Gold 12″ Speaker
- Larger 20″ x 18″ x 11″ Solid Walnut Cabinet
- Handmade Brookwood Leathers Handle